Help For Parents
The Years that Count (3rd Ed)
If you have a teenager at high school, then it's quite likely you might have one of the four concerns below:
- Last minute assignments. Do you worry that your teen is an underachiever? Does it seem like they often do the bare minimum, at the last possible second? Are you concerned that they spend a lot of time socialising, on the computer, on their phone or just seemingly wasting time?
- Stressheads. Are you concerned about your teens tendency to panic or stress about everything? Do you feel you have to walk on egg shells because you just never know when the volcano will erupt?
- Late nights, grumpy mornings. Are you frustrated by your teen staying up really late at night (either because they are on the net, phone or just not able to get to sleep) and then being exhausted and irritable in the morning?
- Socialising overkill. Do you wonder whether it is really necessary to spend the whole day at school with a group of people, text them 300 times when you get home, stop for a token amount of homework and then talk until the small hours on Facebook?
If you have any of these concerns, I'm pretty confident you are going to love The Years that Count.
I've written it after talking to and working with thousands of real Australian teens, parents and teachers over the last 15 years. I've listed everything that I see successful teens in secondary school do as well as the kinds of things their parents say and do. I've also put listed the things that don't seem to work. The end result is a 40,000 word, full size book which I have reviewed and updated three times over the last 7 years.
- Real life stories and interviews
- "Tip Sheets" for students
- Ideas to get quiet/uncommunicative teens talking
- Strategies to help Students destress
- Strategies to students get more sleep
- Ways to help teens think about their future
- Ways to reduce conflict with teens
- .....and most importantly: there are cartoons!
If you would like to be able to download this straight away, you'll want to buy the e-book version. It is $14.95. Click below and pay via Paypal, and we will send you an email with the download link.
If you want to be able to have the printed, perfect bound version to more easily read in bed or in your lounge chair at night, or pass on to others, then you might like to get the printed version. It is $26.95 and includes postage and handling. Click below to order (note you will be directed to paypal and we will get your mailing address from them)
P.S. I am thrilled to say that I have heard of this book being passed from parent to parent in schools I have never been to, across Australia and in Europe and the U.S. One parent told me she kept it on her bedside table for the whole year as her “teen bible”!
But what about resources for my teenager? They need help too!
The Succeed In Senior School Workbook is specifically for teens. To know whether this manual is going to help your teens, put yourself inside their head, and see if you can predict whether they would recognise any of the following scenarios.
Scenario one: you get home from school, and for once, you have good intentions. Tonight you REALLY are going to do a good session of homework. But then....you're hungry, and so you eat. And then you're tired, so you have just a little nap. And then there's that show. And Facebook. And before you know it, it's like 11pm and you have done almost nothing. Oops.
Scenario two: you have a million things to do. So you just swap from thing to thing, feeling panicked the whole time. You stress about whether you are going to get it all done. You lie in bed at night feeling slightly sick about whether you have done as much as you should. You really want to do well, but you are constantly scared about whether that is going to happen.
Scenario three: you have a test or exam coming up. You feel okay about it. You understand mostly the work. In fact you have got some pretty good marks for your assignments in this topic, so you think you should be right. Then you do the test or exam and get your marks back. Bam. You bombed out. So disappointing. You can never do well on tests. What's the point?
If any of these things have happened to your teen, I believe the Succeed in Senior School Manual will help them. This is why:
- It is easy to read, short and sweet.
- It will give them ideas about how to motivate themselves when frankly they would rather staple their tongue to the floor rather than do that essay.
- It has cartoons in it.
- It will show them how to revise for exams so that they can get the grades they deserve on tests and exams.
- It will give ideas about how to feel less stressed.
- It will help them find ways of getting to sleep earlier instead of lying awake in bed.
- It has spaces for them to write your thoughts/answers in so they can remember the strategies they want to use.
If you want your teen to have this right away, I suggest you buy the e-book which means you can download it in the next 5 minutes or so. It's $8.95. Just click on the button below, pay via paypal and we will send you an email with the download link.
If you think they can wait a few days, and you would rather them have a version that is printed, bound and ready to be written in, you might like us to send you the printed workbook version. That's $14.95. Just click on the button below. We will get your address from paypal and send it to you.
Want both parent and teen resources?
I've found that many people want both resources above. Therefore, I've recently put together a couple of bundles so that they can buy both (and save a few dollars).
Surviving Senior School for Parents and Teens E-Book Bundle (Including the ebook version of The Years that Count and the e-book version of Surviving Senior School ($27.95 for the bundle). Click on the button below to purchase and immediately download both ebooks.
If you would rather have the hard copies, then you will want the Surviving Senior School for Parents and Teens Printed Book-Bundle (Including the printed version of The Years that Count and the printed version of Surviving Senior School) - cost of $40, including postage. Click on the button below to purchase and we will send them right out to you.
If there are other resources you are looking for, don't hesitate to contact me.