Brief Psycho-Education Telephone Consult for Parents/Caregivers
This limited service is for Parents/caregivers who would like some brief advice/recommendations either while they are waiting for therapy to begin (the consult is usually available within one week of submitting your request) or while they are deciding whether they want/need/are able to start a therapy process with their child/teen
It consists of:
- Parents/caregivers completing a comprehensive questionnaire about their situation, their questions, challenges and needs prior to the telephone consultation
- A 30 minute telephone consultation with one of our senior psychologists (Kirrilie Smout only at this point)
- A post telephone survey for parents/caregivers to complete to set a plan in place.
It is important to be aware that this brief telephone consultation is not a therapy session.
It differs from a therapy consultation in the following ways:
- It is only suitable for parents/caregivers and not children/teens themselves
- Due to time constraints and the nature of the service, parents/caregivers will not be able to provide more than very brief /basic information about their situation in the call itself (please note Parents/Caregivers will provide their info to the psychologist in the questionnaire before the session).
- Due to time constraints and the nature of the service, parents/caregivers will not be able to extensively discuss and reflect on the emotional challenges involved in managing the situation (which would normally occur within therapy).
- Due to time constraints and the nature of the service, the psychologists will not be able to provide extensive details about their recommendations nor outline more than a few the specific and pragmatic ways parents:caregivers might manage the situation.
Instead this service consists of the psychologist providing brief and interim recommendations and information, on the basis of the information provided in the questionnaire.
What does this look like in practice?
The psychologist will generally spend 5-10 minutes of the call clarifying the info provided in the questionnaire and then 20 minutes doing the following:
- Providing an overview of the kind of work/approach which a psychologist would usually do in our clinics when working with a child/teen with the same challenges/in the same situation
- Provide recommendations about the general approach parents and carers might take and be able to do/say which would usually be helpful in that situation
- Providing information to parents/caregivers about what can usually be expected for children/teens in the same situation/facing the same challenges and how/if things resolve/change over time
- Providing an overview of various options and services going forward and which might be available in SA
It should be noted that this service is not suitable for parents/caregivers
- Have significant safety concerns for their child or are concerned about issues related to suicidality or potential abuse.
- Have questions regarding custody or access issues. Please note we cannot make recommendations about these matters as we have not conducted a full assessment of the situation
- Who are unable to fully complete the online questionnaires
- Who are unable to complete the post telephone call questionnaire
Cost: $175 for the 30 minute telephone session
Please note that unfortunately, unlike our face to face services, this consultation is not covered by Medicare, or private health cover
If you have read the above information, and would like to request a telephone consult, click below to fill in the survey. Once we have received it, a psychologist will review your request and determine whether it is suitable for a brief consultation and our practice manager will contact you to let you know the outcome.
If accepted she will then arrange a time (usually within 72 hours) for the phone call and to organise payment. Please be aware that some requests are not suitable for a phone consultation and in order to not put you a risk for further harm, the psychologist will instead email you to direct you to other services.