Seminars for Parents and Caregivers
For parents and caregivers of adolescents:
- Calm and Confident Teens
- Helping adolescents manage stress, difficult times and to increase their confidence, motivation and well being.
Parenting teenagers can be a job filled with frustration, anxiety and concern. Even harder is when young people are dealing with a crisis of some kind: depression, relationship break-up, loss of self-esteem, problems with peers or learning difficulties just to name a few. At these times, parents often feel helpless and don’t know what to do to help, while everything they do try seems to backfire.
This seminar is designed to give parents of teenagers confidence and skills in dealing with teenagers in difficult times. Specific topics covered include:
- Understanding the differences between generations - and how this results in particular crises for teens
- Helping teens when they shut down
- Building resiliency in young people
- Helping young people to make their own simple plans to get through difficult times
- Helping young people learn to stay calm and reassure themselves
- Maintaining boundaries when teens are stressed
- What not to do and pitfalls to avoid
- And others…
Smart Gaming and Social Networking
- Helping parents and carers know how to deal with the cyber world of social networking, gaming
Young people are the greatest users of the internet in Australia. More than 80% have regular access to a mobile phone. Most teens are regular users of social networking, and the majority check Facebook at least once a day. Many teens spend increasing amounts of time on online gaming, interacting with people all over the world.
Whilst social networking and gaming brings many benefits, it also brings about new challenges. Cyber-bullying is on the rise. Teens have fights with friends online. Students get addicted to spending time on the net, at the expense of family time, homework and physical exercise. Increasingly, parents are unsure about how to manage this aspect of their teenagers’ lives.
In this seminar parents learn about the common pitfalls for teens in cyber-life and how they can help protect, guide and support them in their use of this technology. Ideas are raised about appropriate guidelines for net use, gaming and social networking, helping teens deal with cyber-bullying and learning about the websites teens most often visit.
- The Mysterious world of Teens
- Helping parents understand and communicate more effectively with the teens of today
- Supporting Teens through Secondary School
- Helping parents know how to support teens at school, how to help them maximise their grades, minimise conflict and stress and keep relationships positive at home
For parents and caregivers of primary aged children
- Calm and Confident Kids
- Helping parents to know how to support children aged 5-12 when they are worried, scared, stressed and sad, and how to increase their coping and resiliency skills.
- This seminar is approximately 75 -90 minutes in length.
Many children go through periods of time when they feel anxious, stressed, worried and sad. Sometimes this is because of a tough life experience – parents separating, family illness, grief and loss, bullying, struggles coping at school.
Sometimes there is nothing in particular which seems to be causing problems, but the child has a tendency to be a “worrier” or get sad and they are having a hard time coping with their own emotions.
Research tells us that what parents do makes a big difference to how well children get through these times. There are specific actions parents can take to help the child manage and resolve problems, to help build their resilience - and unfortunately there are also things parents accidentally do which make the situation worse.
This seminar covers the 12 most important steps parents can take to help worried, sad and stressed kids.
It is designed to be practical and give strategies that parents can immediately use with children in all situations. It includes advice on "what to say", what to NOT do, how to answer tricky questions and how to increase resilience and coping skills in children themselves.
Despite the serious topic, there is plenty of humour and fun in the seminar, videos, case examples - as well as time allowed for questions about tricky kids and tricky situations.
- Calm and Co-operative Kids
- Helping parents to know how to support children aged 5-12 when they are frustrated, struggle to follow instructions, have a strong sense of independence, and to increase coping and resiliency skills
- Helping Children through the Emotional Challenges of Primary School
- Helping parents and caregivers to know the challenges for children aged 5 to 12 in managing school, peer relationships, challenges related to learning and becoming independent.
Parent/caregiver seminars usually run for 60-90 minutes as "stand alone" events, but shortened versions can also be conducted if the presentation is part of an existing school evening.
We do not invoice for our seminars until after the seminar has been conducted. If you believe we have not connected with our audience, nor provided high quality content - then please simply call us after the seminar to say you were not 100% satisfied - and we will NOT invoice you. We are absolutely committed to providing excellent and extremely useful sessions, and therefore offer this guarantee without reservation.
To Book a Seminar...
Call our admin team on (08) 8357 1711 or email Amy at email@example.com